The Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs), established by the UN Women and the UN Global Compact, are a set of Principles for business offering guidance on how to empower women in the workplace, marketplace and community with the subtitle “Equality Means Business”. The WEPs can be summarized as attached/below:
- Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality
- Treat all women and men fairly at work – respect and support human rights and non-discrimination
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all women and men workers
- Promote education, training and professional development for women
- Implement enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices that empower women
- Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy
- Measure and publicly report on progress to achieve gender equality
So far 3,358 businesses worldwide have signed the CEO’s Statement of Support for the WEPs (the template is attached) as featured in the WEPs’ website, signaling their commitment to responsible business conducts towards their employees and the community. In Vietnam, 46 CEOs have signed the Statement, the list of which can be found here.
Next month, the new signatories in Vietnam will be featured in a signing session of the Business Forums “Gender equality means good business” in HCMC on 12 Aug 2020 and in Hanoi on 18 Aug 2020 (Agenda is attached). This is an opportunity for businesses to share their good practices on gender equality and women’s empowerment with the audience.
As EuroCham supports gender equality to foster inclusive growth, we encourage European businesses in Viet Nam to consider signing the CEO’s Statement to support the WEPs and jointly sign the CEO’s Statement in the signing session of the Business Forums. Please register your participation in the signing session and the Business Forum by 8 Aug 2020 for the Business Forum in HCMC and by 14 Aug 2020 for the Business Forum in Ha Noi. Limited places available!
We do hope to see a strong European businesses presence in this initiative